Twiki – Webdav – jEdit

Yesterday I installed the latest Alpha of Twiki on the intranet here at work. I updated the last base install because I wanted to try the WebDav Plugin. After digging into that a bit I discovered that you need apache 1.3 not 2.x. So I had to scrap that idea.

But that got me thinking, so I loaded the /twiki/data/ and /twiki/pub/ directories as Webdav locations so I could have access to the text files. I can now edit and add files via Webdav. This isn’t a perfect solution because it doesn’t take advantage of the version controls of Twiki. But it does correctly identify the files as changed. In a big Twiki, this wouldn’t be acceptable, but in mine a single user one it works well. Of course I could have done the same thing via FTP or even with vim directly from a shell.

I’ve been a long time user of UltraEdit, but it doesn’t do Webdav. So I had to step outside of my comfort zone and try something new. I loaded up JEdit, something I have tried in the past and loaded the webdav plugin. The plugin has its quirks, but it works well. I’m also going to start diggin into jEdit an see if it will become my new editor of choice. So far so good.

One thought on “Twiki – Webdav – jEdit”

Comments are closed.