I’ve always wanted to play with HylaFAX, but have never really had the time. Today all of my projects are in a waiting status, so this was on my someday list. I decided to set it up on my Ubuntu box that I’ve been playing with the last few weeks.
First off I had to get the Lucent chip based winmodem working. this message was very helpful in getting that goine. Next I installed hylafax-server and hylafax-client with apt-get. The configuration script got hung in a loop, but I canceled it and ran it again (I guess it runs after apt-get) and got it all working.
A slight problem I had was that once I set it up to route the faxes as PDF to my email, the pdfs where corrupted. I had to edit the setup.cache file and change the ENCODING from ” to base64, got that tip via google.
So its up and running with number based routing and sending faxes from windows works fine also. I would love to put on of these into production, but so many people here still like the paper…