Homestead Update 4

The last time I posted, I mentioned that the garden was the main project at the time. It still remains to be one of the main projects around the place. I mentioned that we needed some rain, and we got it. Not much about .5 inches since I posted that update with more coming this weekend. It doesn’t seem like much but it really helped. Everything in the garden is up and growing (except carrots and celery, which I expected).

It’s nice to look out and see all the green coming up. Oh course some of that green is grass. You just don’t turn a pasture into a garden and not get that. So now I’ve been spending my time pull grass in the garden. Its a lot to stay on top of, but it’s got to be done.

A couple of weeks ago we set out some strawberry transplants. They most really like it here, because the boy is keeping them picked clean every day. The berries are really big right now, but he likes them just the same. I was only able to find about 12 plants, but I’m looking for more. For reference I was able to find these at a local feed store for $2 a six pack.
I also ended up buying some  tomato transplants. I have several going in the green house, but I’m disappointed by the germination rate and percentages. I purchased all these through a company I never delt with before, and I don’t know if I will deal with them again (more on that subject at a later date). We put out 4 rows worth of tomatoes. Thats about  40 plants a row. Then we took the few left overs and planted them in the little garden. So I think I bought 192 plants, which was 4 flats at $8 a flat.

I still have 9 rows in the main garden that have not been planted. I’ve been saving 2 rows of that for my dad, he has some local hand me down peas that he is supposed to get from a friend to plant. The rest will end up being more purple hull peas for us and pepper plants. That reminds me that I haven’t even mentioned what all we do have planted (I’ll save that for another post).

The other big project has been rebuilding some old fence. Its been propped up by old boards, tin, cattle panel and been held together buy hay string and bailing wire. It works, but damn it was ugly. So this week I started digging new post holes, setting posts and running new wire. I should finish this up tomorrrow. Then I’ll need to clean up the mess of tearing down the old fence.

Thats about it from the Homestead for this week. Have a good weekend!

One thought on “Homestead Update 4”

Comments are closed.