To get base up and going with snort already installed I did the following.
1. Downlaod ADOdb (database abstraction library for PHP) : http://sourceforge.net/projects/adodb/files/
The version I got was adodb510.tgz
2. Unzip and untar the file
tar -xvzf adodb510.tgz
3. Move the folder
cp -R adodb5/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/adodb5/
4. Download base: http://sourceforge.net/projects/secureideas/ The version I got was: base-1.4.4.tar.gz
5. Unzip and tar the file
tar -xvzf base-1.4.4.tar.gz
6. You should now have a folder: base-1.4.4/
7. Copy the base folder to your webserver folder
cp base-1.4.4/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/base/
change the owner on the folder
sudo chown -R _www:_www /Library/WebServer/Documents/base/
With this version there was a known problem with the file: base_state_citems.inc.php on some setups, mine included.
So I had to download the fixed version from CVS
You can also download it from the website, follow the link from here:
it goes in your /base/templates/
8. Now install the needed pear extensions for graphs to work in base
On my system it was as follows:
First I had to update pear to the rest of the packages would work:
sudo /usr/local/php5/bin/pear install PEAR-1.9.0
Then the following packages:
sudo /usr/local/php5/bin/pear install Image_Color
sudo /usr/local/php5/bin/pear install Image_Canvas-0.3.2
sudo /usr/local/php5/bin/pear install Image_Graph-0.7.2
9. Open up base in your browser:
You should get the page up with the settings, if you have any errors you need to fix them first with their suggestions.
Once you answer all the setup questions you should have a working base install.