I recently replaced the hard drive in my G5 Mac (PPC) and reinstalled the latest version of OSX. Which didn’t solve my problems, but thats a differnt topic.
Anyway I was running Nagios to monitor my home network. I do this for 2 reasons. 1 is that its just a lot of fun and 2 is that I use Nagios at work and like to play around with things at home at night before possibly putting it in production.
I recently decided that I wanted to give NagVis a try. First up was installing Nagios. The last time I did this was from source, but this time I decided to try from MacPorts, since I think it would be much faster. If I remember correctly it took lots of tweaking to get it going on OSX. The MacPorts install went perfectly. Next up was getting NDOutils loaded. This had to be done from source and after a bit of tweaking I got it working great with Nagios. NDOutils is one of the things that need to be in place before Nagvis. Next up were several modules that were needed that are not compiled into the default PHP version that is on OSX. After several hours I got all those compiled and installed. Finally was getting Nagvis going.
Well it works, sorta. The interface does come up and i can do the demo maps, but can’t create my own maps. I get odd errors and they may say something one time and something different the next time. And the apache log files may show different errors as well. No amount of searching and tweaking has gotten it working. I estimate that all together I’ve spent about 10 hours over several nights with no good results. If you have this working on OSX (not server) I would love to know how you did it.
On a side note, while searching for answers online, I actually found that Bing was more helpful than google on a lot of things I was looking for. I know, it doesn’t feel right typing that…
I finally got it all working. Took a lot more tweaking but finally its done.
Last night I downloaded nocturne for my powerbook. Very cool software. Once I loaded it, I used it all night.
Powered by ScribeFire.
A new version of fink came out a couple of days ago and I’ve finally had a chance to install it. They note that the upgrade is complicated so it might be best to uninstall it. Well I’ve never had to uninstall, but found this quick one liner that does the job nicely:
fink list | perl -lne ‘/^s*is+(S+)/ and print $1’ | xargs fink purge
then you can sudo rm -rf /sw/ and its fine.
I upgraded to the latest version of Kinkless GTD this morning before heading off to work. It kicks ass. Its worth reading the update doc and watching the new video even if you have been using it since day one. Great job and a thanks also to Omnioutliner team, I just know that one of the features they added to their new beta was just for KGTD.
A little more with the Q emulator tonight.
I tried Arudius Linux – No luck, it always hung at the point of looking for a sound card. I tried none, each of the other 3 options with the same results.
eLive 0.4 – Works Fine
The New Dapper – its still running the install, I’ll know tomorrow.
I finally got WebDav setup on the G5 tonight for calendar sharing, mainly because I wanted to be able to share my calendar to my wife again.
I’ve been playing with the Q Emulator on OSX for the last few days. Here are some of my results.
nUbuntu Live CD – Wouldn’t Boot at all
kubuntu – Install went fine, but Configuring Base System Never Completes
ubuntu Live CD – Works fine
Ubuntu Server – Can’t get past the Extracting zlibing install phase 34%
I have a lot more to try.
coconut-flavour.com – coconutBattery 2.2:
coconutBattery isn’t just a tool which shows you only the current charge of your battery – it also shows you the current maximum capacity of it in relation to the original capacity your battery had as it left the factory.
Looks like I’ve lost a little life, 61% of original, but not to bad for 3 years.
I gave MediaCentral a go tonight. Very nice, very similar to iTheater. One thing I haven’t figured out on either of these is how to specify different Video Folders to use. I keep only active projects in the standard Video folder and the rest on network drives or firewire drives. Its early so I’m sure things are in the works to do these sorts of things.
Technorati Tags: osx, MediaCentral
I gave the iTheater RC a whirl last night. Looks like things are going pretty good.
“The goal of this project is to create an application that acts a media center for any Macintosh computer. iTheater is an aesthetically pleasing way to manage, play and share your photos, movies and music. Thanks to many dedicated developers and organizations, the iTheater Project is able to deliver FREE, open source software.”
Another project that I finally got going was setting up Subversion on the G5. Its not bleeding edge, I did it all using Fink so I didn’t have to replace the default apache 1.3 install. It works great so far.
Technorati Tags: osx, subversion